- Lunsford, Jack
- 9642 N 19th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85020
- (602) 717-3666
- The Lunsford Group LLC is a strategic consulting firm focusing on public policy, business and economic development, and coalition-building and project management.
Bio & Experience:
- Jack Lunsford is the founder and president of The Lunsford Group LLC. He has more than 30 years experience in public and community affairs, leading organizations and having served as an elected/appointed leader of more than 40 national, state, and local boards, commissions, committees, and task forces on education, economic development, business issues, taxation, transportation, health-related occupations, the arts, leadership development, county & city government, community redevelopment, community advisory groups, Luke AFB, and public policy advocacy.
Jack has been appointed by four different Arizona governors to serve roles on three different commissions and task forces. He was also selected by his peers to chair the Arizona Tax Conference. Because of his vast experience and varied background, Jack's advice and counsel has been sought by elected officials and business and community leaders on business, tax, political, and public affairs issues.
Lunsford’s honors include:
- The Marvin D. “Swede” Johnson Award for Outstanding Excellence in State Relations. Jack was selected by his national peers for his body of work as the only community college person ever to receive this prestigious higher education award.
- Named by the Phoenix Business Journal (PBJ) as one of the Valley’s Most Admired CEOs & Top Level Executives.
- Named one of PBJ’s “50 Powerful People.”
- Named by West Valley Magazine as one of its inaugural group of West Valley “24” Movers & Shakers.
- The ASU West Visionary Award along with WESTMARC.
- The Maricopa Community Colleges Governing Board Award.
Currently Jack serves as a trustee on the board of Everest College Phoenix (a private, for-profit educational institution), as President of the Greater Maricopa Foreign Trade Zone Board, as a member of the statewide Arizona Bioscience Roadmap Steering Committee, co-chairing its federal/state relations committee, as a member of the Cox Charities Board and the Arizona Highway Users Association Board, and as an Honorary Blue Blazer advocate for Luke Air Force Base.
A native Arizonan, Jack is a former Coconino County Assessor. He was appointed to that position at the age of 26, making him one of the youngest people in Arizona history to hold an elective office, and the youngest County Assessor. He was called upon for his expertise in county government when he was appointed by Maricopa County leadership to co-chair the Maricopa County Home Rule Study Committee, an effort to make county government more efficient and accountable.
Lunsford recently retired as President/CEO of WESTMARC, a regional coalition among the leaders of business, government, education, and community organizations in Western Maricopa County. He is co-founder of WESTMARC and served as its first chairman.
Lunsford is also the retired founding director of the Office of Government Relations and External Affairs of the Maricopa Community Colleges. He was the chief public policy and political advisor to the District’s Governing Board and Chancellor, leading and directing federal, state, and local government affairs and public policy development for the district. He played a leading role in the development, expansion, and leadership of the District's external affairs effort.
Jack has a strong managerial record of success in the private sector as well and is a recognized county and statewide business leader. During his career he has twice been a bank officer/manager with First National Bank of Arizona (now Wells Fargo Bank), and has been a marketing specialist in state and local government with Mountain Bell/AT&T, a radio station manager, a sports play-by-play announcer, an insurance agent, and community college faculty. He has also been a professional actor, and is a member of the Screen Actors Guild/American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA).
In a 30-year track record to expand and improve transportation in the state, Jack has proudly served as a co-founder, steering committee or regional group member of every major transportation-related effort campaign including Prop 300, Valtrans, Prop 400, and the T.I.M.E. Coalition. He was appointed by different governors to serve on the Maricopa County Citizens’ Transportation Oversight Committee, and has served for several years on the board of the Arizona Highway Users Association.
Jack holds a degree in broadcast communications from Southern Methodist University. He earned his Masters in Public Administration at Arizona State University, and has done doctoral work in educational leadership at Northern Arizona University.
- Arizona Association of Superior Court Clerks
- Arizonans for Cultural Development
- Maricopa Community College District
- administrative/regulatory agencies
- business development
- cities and counties
- coalition development
- community relations
- economic development
- government relations
- healthcare occupations & licensure
- property valuation & taxation
- public relations
- school finance
- state government