- Cole, Doug
- 830 N. 4th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85003
- (602) 528-3684
- (602) 528-3686
- HighGround, Inc. is an advocacy lobbying, public affairs, strategic planning, media relations and grassroots development firm. HighGround offers a respected voice at the Arizona Legislature. Our ability to apply our experience and long term commitment to Arizona issues makes us a stand out in our field. We have a long tradition of successful representation with all facets of the Arizona state government.
Bio & Experience:
- Douglas Cole joined the firm in August of 1998 after building a successful public-sector career in the U.S. Congress, the Arizona Governor’s Office, and the Arizona Legislature.
Cole has been twice declared a “winner” by The Arizona Republic in its post-legislative “winners and losers” review of lobbyists.
Besides his legislative work, Douglas Cole has been integrally involved in many political campaigns ranging from gubernatorial campaigns (Arizona Governors Jan Brewer and Fife Symington), to congressional (Congressman John J. Rhodes, III), to Secretary of State (Arizona Secretaries of State Betsey Bayless and Jan Brewer), along with numerous statewide initiatives. Additionally, Cole was the Arizona Communications Director for Sen. John McCain’s 2000 presidential bid. Cole began his professional career as a staff assistant/intern to then-Congressman John McCain (R-Arizona) in 1985.
Before joining HighGround, Cole was the Director of Communications for the Arizona House of Representatives. In this position, he was a member of the House’s top management team and was the chief spokesman. Cole joined the House in October of 1997.
Prior to his top House position, Cole served as Arizona Governor Fife Symington’s Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications and was his chief spokesman from 1991-97. As the Governor’s Deputy Chief of Staff, Cole had oversight of the Governor’s offices for Press, Public Affairs, Community Relations, Boards and Commissions, Constituent Services, and the Governor’s Tucson and Flagstaff offices.
Cole served as Press Secretary to Congressman John J. Rhodes, III (R-Arizona) in Washington, DC from 1987-91 during which time Rhodes was a ranking member of the Interior and Insular Affairs Committee. He was the Public Information Assistant for the Central Arizona Water Conservation District, the operating agency for the Central Arizona Project, from 1985-87 in Phoenix.
Douglas Cole graduated cum laude from The American University, School of International Studies, in Washington, DC. His curricula included studies at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Mr. Cole is a frequent commentator on Arizona politics in the Arizona media. He also guest lectures on the media and politics.
Cole is a public member of the Commission on Appellate Court Appointments, the Constitutional commission that selects judicial candidates for gubernatorial appointment to the Arizona Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals. Mr. Cole served for eight years on the Maricopa County Commission on Trial Court Appointments. Cole is also a long-time member of the Phoenix Ahwatukee Foothills Village Planning Committee where he serves as chairman.
Douglas Cole is a fourth-generation Arizonan. He is licensed as a Private Pilot.
- Arizona Board of Regents
- CA Technologies
- Cisco Systems
- City of Yuma
- DMB Associates, Inc.
- Electrical District #2
- League of Arizona Cities and Towns
- Lifewell Behavioral Wellness
- Maricopa County
- Maricopa Integrated Health System
- MHM Services, Inc.
- Public Safety Personnel Retirement System
- Salt River Project
- SCF Arizona
- Town of Paradise Valley
- Valley Metro RPTA