- Coughlin, Chuck
- 830 N. 4th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85003
- (602) 528-3684
- (602) 528-3686
- HighGround, Inc. is an advocacy lobbying, public affairs, strategic planning, media relations and grassroots development firm. HighGround offers a respected voice at the Arizona Legislature. Our ability to apply our experience and long term commitment to Arizona issues makes us a stand out in our field. We have a long tradition of successful representation with all facets of the Arizona state government.
Bio & Experience:
- Chuck Coughlin founded HighGround, Inc. in January of 1996. Today HighGround is recognized as one of the most successful public affairs firms in Arizona. Three times, Coughlin has been named the “Best Political Operative in Arizona” by the Arizona Capitol Times, and HighGround has been recognized over two dozen times by the American Association of Political Consultants during their annual awards presentations.
A frequent contributor of opinion columns in Arizona and other national publications, Coughlin is an accomplished writer and speaker on national and Arizona political topics; including illegal immigration, campaign finance, infrastructure, education and campaign strategy.
Coughlin was asked to serve by then-Secretary of State Jan Brewer as the Chairman of her Transition Team when she became Governor in 2009. As the Transition Team Chairman, Coughlin assembled a diverse team of business and community leaders who recommended to the Governor her executive management team, senior policy positions, cabinet recommendations and coordinated her swearing in ceremonies. Coughlin chaired the search committee which recommended the succession of Secretary of State Ken Bennett into the role left vacant by Brewer’s ascension to the office of Governor.
As the President of HighGround, Inc., Coughlin has managed hundreds of statewide and local elections lobbied on behalf of numerous clients and played key roles in several public affairs campaigns including: the development of a new stadium for the Fiesta Bowl and the Arizona Cardinals; the extension of Maricopa County’s ½ cent sales tax for transportation; the creation and funding of the Maricopa Integrated Health Care District in Maricopa County; and the passage of Proposition 100, the temporary one-cent sales tax increase passed by 64% of Arizona voters to stabilize the State’s budget picture in 2010. Most recently, the firm was retained to ensure the passage of a Mesa ballot proposition in support of a new Spring Training home for the Chicago Cubs.
Coughlin has worked on the campaign staff of then-Congressman John McCain, and worked on the staffs of former Governor Fife Symington and former Attorney General Grant Woods. He also worked for three years with now-Arizona Republic columnist Bob Robb in his Arizona Agency: Nelson, Ralston, Robb.
Coughlin managed the Governor Symington’s 1994 re-election campaign. The Governor won re-election with over 54% of the popular vote despite being down by a 28-point margin six weeks prior to Election Day. Today, Coughlin is a Senior Political Advisor to Governor Jan Brewer and his firm successfully managed her 2010 campaign for Governor.
- Arizona Board of Regents
- Arizona Housing Association
- CA Technologies
- City of Tucson
- City of Yuma
- DMB Associates, Inc.
- Electrical District #2
- League of Arizona Cities and Towns
- Lifewell Behavioral Wellness
- Maricopa County
- Maricopa Integrated Health System
- Public Safety Personnel Retirement System
- Salt River Project
- SCF Arizona