Proposition 114: Crime victims; protection from liability
Legislative Council analysis:
Proposition 114 would amend the Arizona Constitution to provide that a crime victim is not liable for damages incurred by a person who was harmed while attempting, engaging in or fleeing from conduct that is classified as a felony offense.
Under current law, Article II, section 31 and Article XVIII, section 6 of the Arizona Constitution generally provide that the right to recover for damages for death or injury may not be limited. Proposition 114 would amend these sections of the Arizona Constitution to provide an exception that a crime victim is not subject to a claim for damages by a person who is harmed while attempting to engage in conduct classified as a felony offense, while engaging in conduct classified as a felony offense or while fleeingfrom such conduct.
Article II, section 2.1 of the Arizona Constitution provides that a "victim" is a person against whom a criminal offense has been committed, or if that person is killed or incapacitated, that person's spouse, parent, child or other lawful representative.
(SCR1020 - 50th 1st Reg)
OTHER ELECTION 2012 NEWS
- Advocacy groups’ poll indicates most voters oppose early ballot bill
- Horne vs. Montgomery — the fight over the fight
- Ballot access getting easier for candidates, harder for initiatives
- Despite changes to election reform bills, Democrats, Hispanics still opposed
- Arizona ranks low in election performance
- Democrats, Republicans find good news in Corporation Commission races
- Immigration activist joins US Rep. Sinema’s staff
- Arizona court says ballot measure complied with rule
- Legislative candidates find success switching from ‘clean’ to traditional
- Support for Sheriff Arpaio declines even in some GOP strongholds
- Bennett to testify before Congress on voting rights
- Vandalism, intimidation and cyber threats plagued Maricopa Elections Department during vote counting
- Finance reports hint at high profile ballot prop losses
- Court: Prop 204 clerical error didn’t confuse voters
Arizona Corporation Commissioner Brenda Burns says she has no plans to run for a second term.