Richard Burton, M.D.
Named the medical director for corporate medical management for Schaller Anderson, Inc. Dr. Burton was formerly the senior medical director for Mercy Care Plan, and prior to joining Schaller Anderson in 2004, he was a senior medical executive for CIGNA Healthcare, Western Region. He is board-certified in internal medicine, emergency medicine and medical management.
• Mark K. Briggs was confirmed by the state Senate to serve on the Commission on Appellate Court Appointments. He was appointed to the position by Governor Napolitano earlier this year with the recommendation of the State Bar of Arizona. Mr. Briggs is a partner of Quarles & Brady Streich Lang LLP’s Corporate Services Group. He also serves on the Governor’s Council on Health, Physical Fitness and Sports as a Steering Committee member, and is active in several other civic and charitable organizations.
• Ron Hoon accepted the International Reading Association and Phoenix West Council’s “Celebrate Literacy” Award on June 9. Mr. Hoon is a morning anchor on Fox 10, where he has worked since 1982. He is recognized for the hundreds of hours he donates every year to Valley events, schools and charities.
• James D.R. Steven , AARP Arizona state president, was appointed to the AARP National Policy Council. The council makes public policy recommendations to the national AARP Board of Directors to aid in decisions regarding the association’s annual federal and state agendas. He will focus on long-term health care, employment and low-income issues. He begins his two-year term on the council this month, and finishes his term as AARP Arizona state president this December.
• Jim Gilpin was hired by The Phoenix Zoo as the zoo’s capital campaign director. With his extensive fundraising experience, Mr. Gilpin will help lead the zoo’s entire staff, board, and volunteers in their efforts to raise the first $20 million of the $70 million renewal project. Over the last 30 years, he has worked with several YMCAs, the Southern California Conference of the United Church of Christ, and the Animal Ark Wildlife Sanctuary in Reno, Nev., in their respective fundraising efforts.
The law firm of Fennemore Craig has added the following nine new attorneys to its Phoenix office.
• J. Christopher Gooch concentrates his practice in commercial litigation and business torts. He has extensive experience in complex litigation matters involving accounting malpractice, real estate development and technology-related disputes. He received his J.D. from the University of Arizona in 1998.
• Zora K. Shaw practices in the areas of commercial litigation, labor and employment. Her previous experience includes defending professional negligence claims against physicians, dentists and attorneys, and product liability claims against medical device and pharmaceutical companies. She received her J.D. from Northwestern University in 2000 and a B.A. from Stanford University.
• Sonia I. Krainz joins Fennemore Craig in health care litigation, as well as businesses and personal injury torts and litigation. She has experience defending health care providers and health care facilities in numerous professional malpractice, negligence and neglect claims. She received her J.D. from Arizona State University in 2000, after earning a master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy and a B.S. in Communications from ASU.
• Christopher L. Raddatz’s practice is focused primarily on commercial real estate transactions, federal taxation, and business and finance. He has experience with large master-planned communities along with complex tax issues involving mergers and acquisitions. He received his J.D. from St. Thomas University School of Law in 2001 and holds a Master of Laws (L.L.M) in Taxation from New York University School of Law.
• Tyler R. Stradling joins the real estate practice area of Fennemore Craig. He was formerly with Gallagher and Kennedy, where he practiced environmental law. Previously, he served as a judicial law clerk to then-Chief Justice Charles E. Jones of the Arizona Supreme Court. He earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Brigham Young University in 2003, and his B.A., summa cum laude, from Arizona State University in 2000.
• Jeffrey E. Meyerson joins the company in the business and finance practice, focusing primarily on corporate and limited liability company formation, preparation of private placement memoranda, and the negotiation and drafting of stock purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, and other contracts such as employment agreements, management agreements and consulting agreements. He received his J.D. in 2003 and his B.S. in 1999, both from the University of Arizona.
• Daniel J. Holwerda was hired as a real estate attorney. He has experience with asset protection, mergers and acquisitions, leasing agreements and purchase agreements. He graduated magna cum laude from Michigan State University College of Law in 2004, and received his B.A. from Arizona State University.
• C.W. Ross joins the firm’s business and finance practice, focusing on securities regulation and mergers and acquisitions. He previously practiced law at Kirkland and Ellis LLP in securities offerings and private equity transactions. He earned his J.D. at Harvard Law School in 2004 and his B.A. from Brigham Young University.
• Sarah A. Kubiak’s area of practice is real estate law. She received her law degree from the University of Arizona in 2005. Previously, she worked as an environmental consultant and assisted real estate transactions by conducting due diligence investigations and writing environmental assessments of property.
The State Bar of Arizona selected the following five people as new officers for the 2006-2007 term.
• Jimmie D. Smith , attorney at law, Yuma, president.
• Daniel J. McAuliffe , Snell & Wilmer LLP, Phoenix, president-elect.
• Edward F. Novak , Quarles & Brady Streich Lang LLP, Phoenix, 1st vice president.
• Raymond A. Hanna , Raymond A. Hanna, P.C., Prescott, 2nd vice president.
• Alan P. Bayham, Jr. , Bayham Jerman PLC, Phoenix, secretary/treasurer.
Get promoted? Know someone who has?
Please send any promotions with pictures to Josh Coddington at firstname.lastname@example.org