Quantcast (access required)"/>
Home / Times Past / Toll gate, McDowell at Central (access required)

Toll gate, McDowell at Central (access required)

The toll road — Central Ave. (then called Center Street) north of McDowell — was built by the Central Avenue Driving Association. It was a dirt road, eight miles long and 100 feet wide, with a row of olive and ash trees on either side. Property owners north of the gate paid $2.50 a month for sprinkling and improvements. Buggies and wagons paid a 25 cent toll. Bicycles were free.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Check Also

TP 081216-WEB

Hello Tombstone, Hello Bisbee (access required)

On July 19, 1902, Tombstone and Bisbee were finally linked by telephone. The mayors of the two towns, like all good politicians, were there for the ceremony. Abraham Hyman Emanuel, mayor of Tombstone talked with Mayor Josiah Muirhead of Bisbee and at 8 p.m. that evening in the first long distance call between the two communities.