Quantcast
Home (page 3)

Author Archives: Arizona Capitol Times Staff

Paradise, Arizona (access required)

TP 032516-620

This is the main thoroughfare of Paradise, Arizona, photographed sometime after the turn of the century. Note the boy running toward the hotel at right, the burro grazing in the street, another tied under the tree and the collection of barrels spilling over with things unknown.

Read More »

San Carlos Apache Reservation (access required)

TP 031816-620

Despite its stark appearance, the U.S. Indian Agency at the San Carlos Apache Reservation was a marked improvement over the “…log hut with an earthen floor and canvas doors” that served as headquarters when John P. Clum, newly appointed agent, arrived on the reservation on Aug. 8, 1874.

Read More »

The Douglas Trolleys (access required)

TP 031116-620

Landmarks along G Avenue, the main street of Douglas, Arizona, are the Phelps Dodge Mercantile store at left, the Gadsden Hotel next to it (which burned down in 1928 and was rebuilt in 1930) and the Bank of Douglas on the corner at right.

Read More »

First Catholic School in the Territory (access required)

TP 030416-620

The original St. Joseph’s Academy (called the Convent School) was established in 1868 adjacent to Tucson’s old St. Augustine Cathedral. It was a thick-walled adobe building, built in the “fashion of the country’’ with earthen floors and a roof of sagebrush and cactus interfaced on pine rafters and covered with mud.

Read More »