Quantcast
Home (page 7)

Author Archives: Arizona Capitol Times Staff

The Hotel Adams: Best in Phoenix (access required)

TP 061716-620

“Strictly modern. Absolutely fireproof. Comfort plus, in a variety of accommodations ranging from single rooms to luxurious suites,’’ reads the reverse side of this postcard, issued by the posh Hotel Adams during the 1920s.

Read More »

Emory meets the Pimas: All ‘honesty and virtue’ (access required)

TP 052716-620

This excellent sketch of the Gila River Valley was rendered by Lieutenant (later General) William H. Emory of the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers, as he accompanied General Stephen Watts Kearny’s Army of the West and guide Kit Carson on the 1846 trek across the Southwest en route to California. His journal of that expedition later appeared in book form as “Notes of a Military Reconnaissance.”

Read More »

David Gowan: Preferring not to comment (access required)

House Speaker David Gowan (Photo by Rachel Leingang, Arizona Capitol Times)

For only the second time in 12 years, a legislative leader declined to sit down with the Arizona Capitol Times to discuss the issues of the recently completed legislative session in a question-and-answer format for our annual Session Wrap edition.

Read More »

Flood at the Turf (access required)

TP 051316-620

An unidentified bartender struggles with the door on the Turf Saloon in this 1908 Bisbee photograph. A flood sent the torrent of water from the back alley through the building and out the front door onto Main Street. Photographer M.W. Low recorded the action during the storm that caused more than $25,000 in damage to Main Street businesses. Although flooded, the Turf sustained only minor damage and remained open throughout the deluge.

Read More »

Part of Phoenix’s Restored Past: J.W. Walker Building (access required)

TP 050616-620

This is what the building on the northwest corner of Third Avenue and Washington Street looked like 70 years ago, when it was occupied by the Central Arizona Light & Power Company. Today it is home to Stickler’s Restaurant, which opened in early 2004, replacing Walker’s Café, which had been at the location since late 2001.

Read More »