Quantcast
Don't Miss
Home / Times Past (page 16)

Times Past

Feed Subscription

The ‘Convento’ (access required)

South of Congress Street on the west side of the Santa Cruz River near downtown Tucson was a Pima Indian village. This site, at the base of Sentinel Peak — today it is called ‘A’ Mountain — is known to have been inhabited since at least 1000 B.C. Located by a once-flowing spring that emptied into the Santa Cruz, American Indians called the village Stjukson (spelling of the word varies widely; the Spanish transliterated it to Tucson).

Read More »

Tent City Hero (access required)

Sporting a pitch helmet, linen suit and big white mutton-chop sideburns, Oliver E. Comstock pedaled his bicycle along Tucson’s dusty roads with a soup kettle hanging from the handlebars. He will never be as famous as Wyatt Earp, but he was a real hero to the residents of southern Arizona’s Tent City.

Read More »

The Oasis at a Cultural Crossroads (access required)

For almost two centuries, Spanish missionaries, mountain men, ’49ers, Civil War soldiers and American settlers benefitted from — and often depended on — the plentiful crops and hospitality of the Pima and Maricopa people.

Read More »

The questionable Battle of Carrizal (access required)

In 1916, Capt. Charles T. Boyd, Lt. Henry Adair and Capt. Lewis S. Morey, on direct orders from Gen. John “Blackjack” Pershing himself, led their regiments across large swaths of desert to check on a possible buildup of Mexican troops around the small northern Mexican town of Villa Ahumada.

Read More »

Tucson’s nymphs de pave (access required)

Maiden Lane bordered Congress Street, and between the two was a stretch of “unholy” land shaped like a thin slice of pie and called the wedge — pictured here in the accompanying turn-of-the-century photo. The red light district was anything but invisible.

Read More »

Tombstone’s Boothill Cemetery (access required)

The Boothill Cemetery, which was laid out in 1878 on a rocky hillside facing the Dragoon Mountains, earned the name for a reason. If a body was buried not wearing boots, it meant the person died of natural causes. If the body was buried wearing boots, it meant the person was killed.

Read More »

Alexander J. Chandler (access required)

Shortly after arriving in Arizona Territory from Detroit in 1887, Alexander J. Chandler was appointed territory veterinary surgeon as a part of the newly created Territorial Livestock Sanitary Commission by Gov. C. Meyer Zulick.

Read More »

The Farm that Founded Scottsdale (access required)

On July 2, 1888, U.S. Army Chaplain Winfield Scott directed an agent in Tucson to file a claim and make an initial down payment of 50 cents an acre on 640 acres of land just below the Arizona Canal near the intersection of present-day Indian School and Scottsdale roads.

Read More »

Clifton Mineral Hot Springs

Clifton is situated in a deep canyon formed by the San Francisco River. The town is synonymous in Arizona vocabulary with its twin neighbor Morenci and the rich copper deposits responsible for the existence of both.

Read More »
Scroll To Top