Quantcast
Home / Times Past (page 34)

Times Past

Feed Subscription

The Arizona Temple (access required)

The Arizona Temple pictured during the four-day dedication ceremony in 1927. In 1833, Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith outlined the “look before you leap” plan for settling the West. The plan included well thought out plans for emergencies. Brigham Young later ...

Read More »

Governor Frederick A. Tritle (access required)

Gov. Frederick A. Tritle As Gov. Joseph Kibbey walked through the streets of downtown Phoenix in late 1906, former Gov. Frederick A. Tritle called to him from a chair near one of the downtown hotels. Governor Kibbey could see that ...

Read More »

Clifton’s early calamities (access required)

Fabled Chase Creek Street in Clifton, photographed sometime after 1905, when the Arizona Copper Company installed electricity throughout its mining enterprise. During the mid-1870s, a smelter was installed at the mouth of Chase Creek. Consequently, Clifton’s main thoroughfare — a ...

Read More »

Burke’s Station (access required)

This crumbling adobe structure was Burke’s Station, photographed at an unknown date. The lumber lean-to, surely a later add on, suggests that the photographer focused his lens on the backside of the building. Given the absence of utility poles and ...

Read More »

The Bankhead Highway (access required)

A panoramic picture of the men and equipment of the Arizona Highway Department who were in charge of road building and maintenance of roads like the Bankhead Highway. In the early 20s, much of this equipment was surplus equipment that ...

Read More »

The Capitol Floods (access required)

Several floods have hit the State Capitol over the years. This picture is from Feb. 4, 1905. On the front page of The New York Times and other newspapers throughout the Midwest and East Coast, it was mistakenly reported in ...

Read More »

Patagonia’s classic depot (access required)

When the Patagonia railroad depot was constructed in 1900, it was one of only a handful of two-story depots in Arizona Territory. The handsome building stands today as a landmark of classic railroad architecture.While the Santa Fe was the first ...

Read More »

St. Mary’s Round Building (access required)

During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, abundant sunshine was touted as a cure for any number of physical ailments. Consequently, Arizona billed itself as “The Sanatorium of the Southwest” and actively solicited health-seekers from far and wide.“Owing to ...

Read More »

Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps (access required)

The black Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps arrives at Fort Huachuca. On May 15, 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the act that formed the Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC). Later the name would be changed to the Women’s Army Corps ...

Read More »
Scroll To Top