Home / Times Past (page 7) /

Times Past

The McNary Railroad

Steam locomotive No. 36 runs on the old McNary Railroad in the White Mountains sometime in the 1960s.

This is steam locomotive No. 36 on the old McNary Railroad in the White Mountains. At the time of this photograph, the railroad had been converted to a scenic line that carried passengers from McNary to the logging town of Maverick, south of Baldy Peak, during the summer season. As many as 200,000 passengers made the trip during the years it was running.

Read More »

Page, Arizona

Page’s first school and its first faculty members.

In contrast to the typical image of a little red schoolhouse, this one-room school in Page, Arizona, in 1957 was a war surplus troop carrier. (The troop carriers were called “cattle cars” and were pulled by trailer trucks during World War II.) The older woman standing in the doorway is Mary Howe.

Read More »

Tuba Trading Post (access required)

7-3 (TP) Tuba Trading Post620

This is Tuba City’s famous trading post, built in the late 1880s in the then Mormon settlement of Tuba City. (Tuba was an English approximation of the name of the Hopi chief TIvi).

Read More »

Phoenix’s Plaza Bandstand

Phoenix City Hall Plaza bandstand in 1901.

This is a 1901 photograph of the bandstand sat City Hall Plaza, located on the block between Washington and Jefferson streets and Montezuma (First Street) and Maricopa (Second Street). The men in the photo are not identified, but written on the back of the photo is the name of J.C. Dodds. The 1903 City Directory lists Dodds as a driver for Ezra W. Thayer. That is Thayer’s hardware store across the street on Washington, and we guess Dodds is one of the men in the photograph.

Read More »

Amelia Earhart Touches Down in Arizona

Famous woman aviator Amelia Earhart sands in front of her biplane in McNeal, Ariz., on Sept. 12, 1928.

Famous woman aviator Amelia Earhart stands with a couple of spectators near her biplane – a French Avro-Avian – while the craft sits on a crude runway in the farming community of McNeal in the Sulfur Springs Valley just north of Douglas.

Read More »

Hoover Dam Construction

Hoover Dam is pictured here in 1935, close to when the structure was complete.

This photograph of Hoover Dam was probably taken about 1935 when construction of the dam was almost complete. It took five years – from 1931 to 1936 – to build what was then the largest concrete dam in the world. It was built in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River, in northwestern Arizona on the border with Nevada.

Read More »