Quantcast
Home / Tag Archives: Arizona Historical Society

Tag Archives: Arizona Historical Society

Feed Subscription

The Power Shootout (access required)

The Power family — Thomas Jefferson Power Sr., sons Charlie, John, Tom Jr., and daughter Ola May settled in Kielburg Canyon deep in the Galiuro Mountains of Graham County in 1907. The men ranched, but also gained a controlling interest in a mining claim variously known as the Jinx Mine, the Abandoned Claims and the Power Mine.

Read More »

Frank Holme at the Schorgl Ranch (access required)

The Schorgl Ranch was one of a number of camps for tuberculars (commonly called “lungers’ camps”) built in the Arizona desert around the turn of the century. Because tuberculosis was highly contagious, healthy people feared infection and segregated the invalids on the outskirts of town. The tuberculars lived in tents because it was cheap, and they couldn’t afford medical care in the local sanatoriums and hospitals. Also, it was believed that fresh air was therapeutic and helped in the cure.

Read More »

Phoenix Streetcars (access required)

In the late 19th century, just about every city of any size had a streetcar or trolley line. In Phoenix, there was the Phoenix Street Railway System, which operated from 1887 to 1948. It was owned and operated by the great promoter and subdivision mogul, Moses H. Sherman, until 1925, when the city of Phoenix took over operations.

Read More »

Queen of the Colorado (access required)

This Mohave was the largest and most palatial of the paddle-wheelers on the Colorado River a century ago. The photo was taken in 1876, when the Mohave was docked at Yuma taking on school children for a May Day excursion. The ship had been launched earlier that year, replacing a smaller boat (also called the Mohave) that had been dismantled and completely rebuilt.

Read More »

Old Main: No Running on the Balcony (access required)

During the first session of the Arizona Territorial Legislature in 1864 — when not a single public school existed in the newly formed territory — lawmakers authorized a university and wrote a constitution to guide its affairs.

Read More »

Building the Kaibab Bridge, 1921 (access required)

The Kaibab suspension bridge over the Colorado River was to link Bright Angel Trail on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon with the Kaibab Trail on the North Rim. At the time, the only means of crossing the river between the two trails was by small canvas boat. (The closest ferry crossings were at Lee’s Ferry, upstream near the Utah border and downstream at Needles on the California border.) Construction began in January 1921.

Read More »
Scroll To Top