The Kaibab suspension bridge over the Colorado River was to link Bright Angel Trail on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon with the Kaibab Trail on the North Rim. At the time, the only means of crossing the river between the two trails was by small canvas boat. (The closest ferry crossings were at Lee’s Ferry, upstream near the Utah border and downstream at Needles on the California border.) Construction began in January 1921.Read More »
Tag Archives: Arizona Historical SocietyFeed Subscription
If a cactus and sunset don’t suit a driver, Arizonans can now opt for one of the 49 specialty plates when they register their cars.
But some call the numerous specialty plates, including the ironic Tea Party plate and one for the embattled Phoenix Coyotes, a threat to public safety and private groups using the government to pad their bottom lines.
Hi Jolly’s pyramid may not be the only pyramid in Arizona, but its composition of quartz and petrified wood along with its unusual metal silhouette of a camel perched on top makes it one of the state’s most notable monuments. Thousands travel past it every day but few realize it’s there.Read More »
The Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum near the State Capitol has closed a month earlier than expected. As the building's overseer, the Arizona Historical Society had originally planned to shutter the museum at the end of the school year.Read More »
On the historic Sanborne Fire Insurance maps of downtown Flagstaff, this imposing, walled sandstone open court is listed as a ruin, nearly from the time it was built in 1926.Read More »
Sidney R. DeLong was one of Arizona’s early Anglo settlers — an engineer, miner, soldier, editor, historian and businessman. Unlike the stereotypical Westerner of his era, he was also a man of conscience, integrity and refinement.Read More »
Business was good at the Arizona Pool Room when this photograph was taken about 1912.Read More »
In a rite of spring, state legislators are proposing at least 12 special license plates that would add to nearly 50 offered by the Arizona Department of Transportation.Read More »
Skiing was introduced to Flagstaff in 1915, probably by a pair of Norwegian immigrants, brothers Ole and Pete Solberg. The Solbergs made skis and started downhill runs on Observatory Hill where the Lowell Observatory was located, very nearly in the center of town.Read More »
Sporting a pitch helmet, linen suit and big white mutton-chop sideburns, Oliver E. Comstock pedaled his bicycle along Tucson’s dusty roads with a soup kettle hanging from the handlebars. He will never be as famous as Wyatt Earp, but he was a real hero to the residents of southern Arizona’s Tent City.Read More »