Quantcast
Don't Miss
Home / Tag Archives: bisbee

Tag Archives: bisbee

Feed Subscription

Telemedicine services cut back in Cochise and 96 other U.S. counties (access required)

Telemedicine services cut back in Cochise and 96 other U.S. counties <span class="dmcss_key_icon"><img alt="(access required)" src="/files/2013/12/lock1.png" border=0/></span>

Medicare will no longer cover telemedicine in Cochise County and 96 other U.S. counties because they are now considered urban areas, instead of rural ones. Because of the realignment of standard metropolitan statistical areas, about 1 million Medicare beneficiaries located in rural areas across the country will be affected, many who have been receiving healthcare with the help of telemedicine.

Read More »

Barbering Badmen (access required)

A barber by trade, Emil Marks trimmed the hair and mustaches of Tombstone’s most notorious gunfighters, including the Earps, ‘Doc’ Holliday and the Clantons.

Read More »

Bisbee’s mighty tug of war (access required)

In December 1903, handbills began appearing around Bisbee announcing a mighty tug-of-war competition. Tug-of-war was popular in the early 1900s, particularly in the rough and ready mining towns of the West, where a man’s strength and brawn was a measure of his success.

Read More »

Bisbee’s Miners and Merchants Bank (access required)

The Miners and Merchants Bank on Bisbee’s Main Street incorporated on June 12, 1900, with a capitalization of $50,000. Founding directors were Bisbee merchants L.C. Shattuck, Joseph Muheim, L.J. Overlock, Jakob Schmidt and J.T. Hood.

Read More »

Gilmore and Salisbury’s ‘custom’ smelter (access required)

Benson was established in June 1880 by the Southern Pacific and became an important maintenance center for the railroad and the shipping point for the Bisbee and Tombstone mines, neither of which was served by rail. The town was less than three months old when, according to the Tucson Citizen, “the first shipment of copper bullion from Bisbee (arrived) in Benson, where it (was) shipped to San Francisco.” It was transported to Benson by mule-drawn wagons, weighing 43,003 pounds.

Read More »
Scroll To Top