Quantcast
Home / Tag Archives: history

Tag Archives: history

Feed Subscription

Flood at the Turf (access required)

Flood at the Turf <span class="dmcss_key_icon"><img alt="(access required)" src="/files/2013/12/lock1.png" border=0/></span>

An unidentified bartender struggles with the door on the Turf Saloon in this 1908 Bisbee photograph. A flood sent the torrent of water from the back alley through the building and out the front door onto Main Street. Photographer M.W. Low recorded the action during the storm that caused more than $25,000 in damage to Main Street businesses. Although flooded, the Turf sustained only minor damage and remained open throughout the deluge.

Read More »

Flagstaff Mill Pond (access required)

Flagstaff Mill Pond <span class="dmcss_key_icon"><img alt="(access required)" src="/files/2013/12/lock1.png" border=0/></span>

The logs were hauled from nearby forests by steam locomotive, off-loaded by crane (right foreground) and floated in the mill pond of the Flagstaff lumber mill until they were selected for cutting. The tiny figure on the far edge of the pond is a mill worker choosing logs for the conveyor to the second floor of the saw mill.

Read More »

Paradise, Arizona (access required)

Paradise, Arizona <span class="dmcss_key_icon"><img alt="(access required)" src="/files/2013/12/lock1.png" border=0/></span>

This is the main thoroughfare of Paradise, Arizona, photographed sometime after the turn of the century. Note the boy running toward the hotel at right, the burro grazing in the street, another tied under the tree and the collection of barrels spilling over with things unknown.

Read More »

The Douglas Trolleys (access required)

The Douglas Trolleys <span class="dmcss_key_icon"><img alt="(access required)" src="/files/2013/12/lock1.png" border=0/></span>

Landmarks along G Avenue, the main street of Douglas, Arizona, are the Phelps Dodge Mercantile store at left, the Gadsden Hotel next to it (which burned down in 1928 and was rebuilt in 1930) and the Bank of Douglas on the corner at right.

Read More »

First Catholic School in the Territory (access required)

First Catholic School in the Territory <span class="dmcss_key_icon"><img alt="(access required)" src="/files/2013/12/lock1.png" border=0/></span>

The original St. Joseph’s Academy (called the Convent School) was established in 1868 adjacent to Tucson’s old St. Augustine Cathedral. It was a thick-walled adobe building, built in the “fashion of the country’’ with earthen floors and a roof of sagebrush and cactus interfaced on pine rafters and covered with mud.

Read More »
Scroll To Top