Quantcast
Home (page 2)

Tag Archives: history

Flood at the Turf (access required)

TP 051316-620

An unidentified bartender struggles with the door on the Turf Saloon in this 1908 Bisbee photograph. A flood sent the torrent of water from the back alley through the building and out the front door onto Main Street. Photographer M.W. Low recorded the action during the storm that caused more than $25,000 in damage to Main Street businesses. Although flooded, the Turf sustained only minor damage and remained open throughout the deluge.

Read More »

Part of Phoenix’s Restored Past: J.W. Walker Building (access required)

TP 050616-620

This is what the building on the northwest corner of Third Avenue and Washington Street looked like 70 years ago, when it was occupied by the Central Arizona Light & Power Company. Today it is home to Stickler’s Restaurant, which opened in early 2004, replacing Walker’s Café, which had been at the location since late 2001.

Read More »

Flagstaff Mill Pond (access required)

TP 042216-620

The logs were hauled from nearby forests by steam locomotive, off-loaded by crane (right foreground) and floated in the mill pond of the Flagstaff lumber mill until they were selected for cutting. The tiny figure on the far edge of the pond is a mill worker choosing logs for the conveyor to the second floor of the saw mill.

Read More »

Paradise, Arizona (access required)

TP 032516-620

This is the main thoroughfare of Paradise, Arizona, photographed sometime after the turn of the century. Note the boy running toward the hotel at right, the burro grazing in the street, another tied under the tree and the collection of barrels spilling over with things unknown.

Read More »

The Douglas Trolleys (access required)

TP 031116-620

Landmarks along G Avenue, the main street of Douglas, Arizona, are the Phelps Dodge Mercantile store at left, the Gadsden Hotel next to it (which burned down in 1928 and was rebuilt in 1930) and the Bank of Douglas on the corner at right.

Read More »

First Catholic School in the Territory (access required)

TP 030416-620

The original St. Joseph’s Academy (called the Convent School) was established in 1868 adjacent to Tucson’s old St. Augustine Cathedral. It was a thick-walled adobe building, built in the “fashion of the country’’ with earthen floors and a roof of sagebrush and cactus interfaced on pine rafters and covered with mud.

Read More »