Home / Home news / Kent Cattani appointed to Arizona Court of Appeals

Kent Cattani appointed to Arizona Court of Appeals

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer. (Photo by Ryan Cook/RJ Cook Photography)

A lawyer who has worked for the Arizona Attorney General’s Office since 1991 has been appointed to the Arizona Court of Appeals.

Kent Cattani’s appointment was announced Friday by Gov. Jan Brewer.

He fills the vacancy created by the appointment of Ann Scott Timmer to the Arizona Supreme Court.

Cattani previously was chief counsel of the Criminal Appeals and Capital Litigation Division of the AG’s Office.

In the chief counsel role, Cattani supervised all felony appeals for the state and federal habeas proceedings in federal courts. He also oversaw capital post-conviction proceedings in Arizona trial courts.

Cattani has nearly 30 years of experience in criminal, civil and appellate law.

He graduated from University of California, Berkley School of Law and has been licensed to practice law in Arizona since 1986.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


  1. Sad news for those fighting their cases in the Appelate courts. Have heard Mr. Cattani speak in wonkish style, pro-Death Penalty presentations. As a prosecutor for decades, he follows the well-establish one-sided pattern of Arizona’s prosecutors — convictions at all costs; notches on the belt for career gain.

    This “appointment” continues the Arizona continues path of “rubber-stamping” Appeals case that were decided under these individuals who were prosecutors or judges. How is the justice system supposed to work when there are no “checks and balances” and defendants go before those who convicted them or refused to listen to new evidence, exculpatory evidence that an individual was innocent, wrongfully convicted and wrongfully imprisons?

    It would appear there is NO appeals process in Arizona. Bad appointment for the people and the justice system.

  2. John Kavanagh must be ignorant of the fact that 75% of the SO’s he is so terrified of are in prison serving what at are effectively life sentences. Does he expect me to believe the remaining 25% are so dangerous we need a law like this? If that is the case then why were the 25% ever released? As a legislator isn’t he responsible for that? It doesn’t matter he inherited the sins of his predecessors. It matters more what he is doing to fix it?

  3. he follows the well-establish one-sided pattern of Arizona’s prosecutors — convictions at all costs; notches on the belt for career gain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Check Also

Arizona teachers walk into the senate building as they protest for higher pay at the capitol Wednesday, March 21, 2018, in Phoenix. The protest comes as educators try to persuade the Legislature and Republican Gov. Doug Ducey to boost their pay significantly. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)

Sea of red engulfs Capitol as teachers protest

The protesters included dozens of teachers from nine schools in west Phoenix and Glendale who called in sick in the first job action teachers have called since organizing earlier this month.