Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Home / Times Past (page 10) /

Times Past

Emory meets the Pimas: All ‘honesty and virtue’ (access required)

This excellent sketch of the Gila River Valley was rendered by Lieutenant (later General) William H. Emory of the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers, as he accompanied General Stephen Watts Kearny’s Army of the West and guide Kit Carson on the 1846 trek across the Southwest en route to California. His journal of that expedition later appeared in book form as “Notes of a Military Reconnaissance.”

Read More »

Part of Phoenix’s Restored Past: J.W. Walker Building (access required)

This is what the building on the northwest corner of Third Avenue and Washington Street looked like 70 years ago, when it was occupied by the Central Arizona Light & Power Company. Today it is home to Stickler’s Restaurant, which opened in early 2004, replacing Walker’s Café, which had been at the location since late 2001.

Read More »

Building Roosevelt (access required)

At first glance, this 1904 photograph looks like a contingent of cavalry guarding captives. It is not. These are the engineers and laborers, and their wives, involved in construction of Roosevelt Dam, one of the first reclamation dams in the U.S.

Read More »

Flagstaff Mill Pond (access required)

The logs were hauled from nearby forests by steam locomotive, off-loaded by crane (right foreground) and floated in the mill pond of the Flagstaff lumber mill until they were selected for cutting. The tiny figure on the far edge of the pond is a mill worker choosing logs for the conveyor to the second floor of the saw mill.

Read More »

Paradise, Arizona (access required)

This is the main thoroughfare of Paradise, Arizona, photographed sometime after the turn of the century. Note the boy running toward the hotel at right, the burro grazing in the street, another tied under the tree and the collection of barrels spilling over with things unknown.

Read More »

San Carlos Apache Reservation (access required)

Despite its stark appearance, the U.S. Indian Agency at the San Carlos Apache Reservation was a marked improvement over the “…log hut with an earthen floor and canvas doors” that served as headquarters when John P. Clum, newly appointed agent, arrived on the reservation on Aug. 8, 1874.

Read More »

First Catholic School in the Territory (access required)

The original St. Joseph’s Academy (called the Convent School) was established in 1868 adjacent to Tucson’s old St. Augustine Cathedral. It was a thick-walled adobe building, built in the “fashion of the country’’ with earthen floors and a roof of sagebrush and cactus interfaced on pine rafters and covered with mud.

Read More »
/* code for tag simpli.fi */