Quantcast
Home / Times Past (page 18) /

Times Past

The Mertz Family

(From left) Sister Electa Fleck, Father Jim Mertz and Sister Mary Magdalene (Mary Mertz) are pictured in front of 444 Monroe Street, downtown Phoenix, 1936.

This photo shows 444 Monroe Street in downtown Phoenix in 1936. The building in the background is the former convent of the Sisters of the Precious Blood, who taught St. Mary’s Elementary School classes for nearly a century.

Read More »

Traveling Photographers

Bisbee, 1885, looking south toward Sacramento Hill. At right are the Holbrook headframe (the covered building), the entrance to the Copper Queen mine and the smelter.

This photograph of Bisbee was taken by George Rothrock, one of many itinerant photographers who traveled the countryside in the 19th and early 20th century to record the lives of farmers, ranchers and settlers on the frontier. The photographers gave people the only chance they would have to secure a “likeness” and left a revealing record of life on the frontier.

Read More »

Last of the Buffalo Soldiers (access required)

Photos Courtesy Fort Huachuca

Master Sergeant John P. Campbell, age 90, died at a nursing home Sept. 7, 1984, in Phoenix. Campbell was born Nov. 7, 1893, the youngest of 13 children in Evansville, Indiana. He finished high school joined the Army in 1911, and of his 35 years of service, 27 were spent at Fort Huachuca.

Read More »

Promoting Tourist Travel in 1884 Northern Arizona

Road conditions on the Grand Canyon stage route from Flagstaff to Grandview Point in 1909.

The following article appeared in the Weekly Champion, a Flagstaff newspaper, on March 22, 1884. Today’s reader may enjoy the flowery writing style of the time; may be curious as to why the route would travel so far to the west unless it was to reach the waters of the Colorado River instead of viewing the Canyon from the rim?

Read More »