Home / Times Past (page 20) /

Times Past

Will Rogers, Jr.

Will Rogers, Jr.

Born in New York in 1911 when his famous father, the humorist Will Rogers, was starring in the Ziegfeld Follies, William Vann Rogers Jr. grew up in the house that is the centerpiece of Will Rogers State Historic Park.

Read More »

The First Pima County Supervisors

From left, Original Pima County Supervisor Solomon Warner and Original Pima County Supervisor William S. Oury.

With that proclamation, the first Pima County Board of Supervisors began its duties. The first four counties in the Arizona Territory — Yuma, Mohave, Yavapai and Pima — were created on Nov. 6, 1864. Each, at its own expense, had to provide a suitable courthouse, a jail and fireproof county offices.

Read More »

Switzer’s Stores

Walter Switzer Jr. and Grace Switzer with Eva Mae and Walter Switzer Sr. at the opening of the Park Central Switzer’s store in 1954.

This 1954 photo of the opening of Switzer’s Department Store in Park Central Mall (on Phoenix’s Central Avenue near Thomas Road) captures the moment when the small town that Phoenix had been in the first half of the 20th century began its transformation into today’s decentralized urban megalopolis.

Read More »

Wikle’s Stationers

John and Margy Wikle in Los Angeles, 1929.

The happy pair cuddling under the neckers nook sign are John Marion Wikle (sounds like cycle) and his wife Margy, born Margy Lee Standage. Though this late ‘20s photo was taken in Los Angeles, John and Marion were Phoenicians who from the late 1930s to the 1970s owned and operated Wikle’s stationery store, a fixture in downtown Phoenix for 60 years.

Read More »

Brawling Badgers of Bisbee

The Bisbee Country Club, photographed in 1910, was the scene of a badger fight raided by the Cochise County sheriff and his deputies.

Growls, screams, yelling and cursing erupted from the alleyway behind the Copper Queen Hotel in December of 1905. The Bisbee Review reported it to be a “splendid exhibition of badger fighting, the first event of its kind in the Copper Camp.”

Read More »

The Lakes Mary

Lake Mary, March 1905

Lake Mary, a man-made body of water, was created less than a year after a dam was built in a shallow valley south of Flagstaff. Remnants of a temporary sawmill and living quarters can be seen in this March 1905 photograph of the lake, which measured half a mile wide, 6 miles long and 28 feet deep.

Read More »

Modern Flagstaff

Downtown Flagstaff is pictured in 2009 with the historic Hotel Monte Vista, built in 1926, keeping the growing city connected to its past.

Baby-boomers finishing their education and starting families sought the small-town feel of Flagstaff in the 1970s and 1980s. Well-paying jobs were scarce; so many PhD’s served drinks and waited on tables until they could find suitable employment. One of the best places to find a career was with the W.L. Gore Company that opened its Flagstaff plant in 1967.

Read More »