Quantcast
Home / courts / Former Fiesta Bowl CEO enters 2nd guilty plea

Former Fiesta Bowl CEO enters 2nd guilty plea

This Jan. 4, 2010 photo shows Arizona governor Jan Brewer and then-Fiesta Bowl CEO John Junker on the sidelines during the 2010 Fiesta Bowl college football game in Glendale. (AP Photo/Arizona Republic, Rob Schumacher)

The Fiesta Bowl’s former CEO has pleaded guilty in federal court to a felony conspiracy charge stemming from his role in an illegal campaign-finance scheme.

John Junker entered his plea Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Phoenix. It’s his second plea agreement in the case.

The 56-year-old Junker pleaded guilty last month in Maricopa County Superior Court to a state felony charge of soliciting a fraudulent scheme.

Both guilty pleas stem from a scheme in which the Fiesta Bowl reimbursed with bowl funds employees who made political campaign contributions.

Junker’s attorney says his client faces up to 2½ years in prison on the state and federal charges combined.

The Arizona Republic says Junker’s state sentencing is scheduled for April 26 while his federal sentencing is on May 21.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

 

x

Check Also

In this Nov. 14, 2016, file photo, a bird rests on a section of 18-foot high border fence in Brownsville, Texas. As President Donald Trump's administration fights to fund a new, multibillion-dollar border wall, government lawyers are still settling claims with Texas landowners over the fence Congress approved more than a decade ago. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

House GOP works to deliver on border wall for Trump

House Republican allies of President Donald Trump are intent on giving him a long-sought victory in Congress by finally making a down payment on his long-promised wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.