Quantcast
Home / agencies / Arizona to revamp request for private prison bids

Arizona to revamp request for private prison bids

Three inmates’ escape from a privately operated state prison near Kingman has prompted Arizona to start over on getting bids from private prison companies for 5,000 additional beds.

Corrections Director Charles Ryan says he canceled a request for proposals earlier this month because changes are necessary to avoid repeats of the July 30 escape. The three violent offenders who broke out have been apprehended, but two are accused of murdering an Oklahoma couple in New Mexico while on the loose.

Ryan has said the Kingman prison was riddled with security flaws that the department’s oversight failed to detect.

He says the canceled RFP for the 5,000 additional beds will be replaced with one that ensures bidders meet security and operational requirements.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2 comments

  1. “He says the canceled RFP for the 5,000 additional beds will be replaced with one that ensures bidders meet security and operational requirements.”

    And one that meets the approval of Highground/Coughlin, the gov’s advisors who are paid by private prison clients?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

 

x

Check Also

Gov. Doug Ducey

Ducey headed to United Kingdom to tout business

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey is headed to the United Kingdom for a series of economic development meetings and to meet with tourism industry representatives at an Arizona Cardinals football game outside London.