Home / budget / Budget overrides at Glendale, Washington school districts

Budget overrides at Glendale, Washington school districts

“Support Our Kids” and “Citizens for a Quality Education” have joined forces to educate voters about two very critical upcoming ballot measures. On Nov. 3, Washington Elementary School District (WESD) and Glendale Union High School District (GUHSD) residents will determine if their respective budget overrides will be continued.

Here are a few reasons that both WESD’s K-3 override and GUHSD’s maintenance-and-operations override should be continued:

• Both measures provide funding for school programs and services that directly support student achievement and fundamentally impact student success.

• Both districts boast evidence of academic strength. Eighty-eight percent of WESD’s 32 schools have been identified by the Arizona Department of Education as “performing plus” or higher, and no schools are “underperforming.” Seven of GUHSD’s nine schools have been designated “excelling,” while the remaining two are “highly performing.” Override-funded programs have helped bolster achievement in both districts. The continuation of such programs is crucial, if achievement levels are to be sustained and/or improved.

• Upon completing eighth grade, WESD students attend GUHSD schools.

WESD must ensure that students are adequately prepared for the rigors of high school curriculum. Upon graduating from high school, GUHSD students will pursue higher education or enter the workforce. GUHSD must be certain that students are sufficiently prepared for those challenges. Ultimately, adequate funding of public education is essential to the future social and economic well-being of our shared community.
We invite you to visit our Web sites for further information, and we urge you to vote yes on school overrides on Nov. 3.

– Bev Kraft, Chairman, Support Our Kids
– Don DeBusk, Chairman, Citizens for a Quality Education

On the Web:


  1. When the coffers are bare, budgets get cut. Live with it. We all have to and education has been on a spending spree with an 86% increase in the last ten years. From 2001 to 2009 the state’s General Fund grew 54%, twice as fast as population growth and inflation combined. Most of that growth was in education and health care. Education receives 60% of our general fund. Everything else–every other service–receives the remaining 40%. This is unreasonable. Do more with less or do without.

  2. Listening to the supporters, you’d think the sky will fall if the override isn’t passed. You’ll hear “they’ll have to cut their budget.” The problem is that their budgets are out of control.
    Currently, in AZ, the average per student funding is between $9-10k per year. For an elementary school class of 25-30 kids, that’s about $250,000 – $300,000 per classroom. Are they really trying to tell me that they can’t run a classroom for that amount of money? You could have a much higher paid teacher at a fully loaded cost (double the salary to account for benefits, like insurance and vacation), say $80k per year (fully loaded at $160k), build a new building and provide every child with a laptop every year for those dollars.
    Ultimately, the fact is that your school has no idea how much it costs to teach a 4th grader science. All they know is they had x dollars last year, so the need x+10% this year or they think they’re going broke. They have no concept how to budget, no concept of their mission, and they are bloated beyond belief.
    The point being is that maybe we should stop overrides and start some oversight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Check Also

Members of the Sun Lakes Bicycle Club head off on a 10-mile ride. (Cronkite News Service Photo by Jessica Boehm)

Prop 407 creates a safer and healthier Tucson

Tucson is truly a community where you can live, work and play. Home to breathtaking mountain views, the renowned University of Arizona and coveted climate that provides ample amounts of sunshine, the Old Pueblo is well positioned to support physical activity. Yet, it is also home to traffic congestion and health complications. In fact, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services, in 2017, there were 1,984 deaths in Pima County related to heart disease.