Former Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas took a swipe at his accusers and the Arizona Supreme Court today in announcing he is not going to appeal his April 10 disbarment.
Thomas had until 5 p.m. today to file a notice of appeal, but instead sent an email to the press to say that he can’t continue the legal proceedings because the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors refused to pay for his attorneys.
He also said the Supreme Court, which would consider the appeal, is too close to the judges and officials he prosecuted and investigated.
“The court cannot possibly be impartial and will only rubberstamp the railroad job I have just been through,” Thomas wrote. He also stated he would not agree to any interviews or comment further.
Thomas said he would seek reforms so that “the powerful and corrupt are no longer above the law.”
A disciplinary panel found Thomas and aides Lisa Aubuchon and Rachel Alexander committed a host of ethical violations during a four-year span in which judges, county managers and private attorneys were targeted for prosecution and lawsuits.
The panel found that Thomas worked in unison with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office to go after political enemies of his and Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
The panel also disbarred Aubuchon and suspended Alexander for six months and a day. The county had paid about $1.3 million for Thomas’ and Alexander’s defenses. Aubuchon was represented by an attorney for free for most of the case. The Board of Supervisors decided last week to cut off their funds.
Alexander has threatened the county with a lawsuit if it doesn’t pay for her defense, but she said Friday she can’t pay an attorney to represent her in the suit. She said she will represent herself on the disciplinary appeal and Aubuchon has also filed notice of appeal.